It appears that identity thieves are now targeting medical and dental records. Ask yourself, does your medical and /or dental professional really need your social security number? What are the security measures they put in place to safeguard your social security number?
- Your bank needs it to provide required reporting to the IRS;
- Your employer needs it to provide required reporting to the IRS and the Social Security Administration, and
- Your tax preparer needs it to file your tax return
- Why is your number needed;
- How will your number be used;
- What happens if you refuse; and
- What law requires you to give your number.