December 31, 2013 is the deadline for making a Qualified Charitable Distributions (QCD) from an IRA. The following are some general reminders:
- QCDs can only be made from IRAs (Traditional IRAs, Roth IRAs and SEP & SIMPLES that are not ‘ongoing’.) This includes ‘Inherited/Beneficiary IRAs.
- QCDs cannot be made from a qualified plan, such as a 401(k) plan, 403(b), or 457 plan
- You must be at least age 70 ½ when the amount is withdrawn from your IRA
- The charity must be ‘eligible’
- QCDs are limited to $100,000 per taxpayer for the year
- The amount must be made payable to the charity
For more on QCDs, see the article Donating Retirement Assets to Charities
 Charitable organizations described in Code § 170(b)(1)(A).